Why make an exception for rape and incest?

I always look for­ward to Dr. Marty Klein’s Sex­ual Intel­li­gence newslet­ters, so I was tick­led to see one in my inbox today. But one of the head­lines took me by sur­prise: End Rape & Incest Excep­tions to Stu­pak Abor­tion Ban. Dr. Klein always has excel­lent analy­ses, and this one is no exception.

If you’re against repro­duc­tive choice for so-​​called “moral rea­sons” (as if any­one get­ting an abor­tion or sup­port­ing its legal­ity isn’t “moral”), be con­sis­tent. If killing a fetus or even a fer­til­ized egg wan­der­ing around a woman’s body is the same as killing a per­son (the posi­tion of every anti-​​choice activist), why should it mat­ter how the fetus or fer­til­ized egg got there? Why is a fetus’ right to live dimin­ished because its father was a rapist or a sadist? After all, we don’t say the chil­dren of such men have fewer rights than other children.

7 Comments

1. Sam Chupp says:

While I totally get where he’s going with this, the whole thing seems to be headed straight towards “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

And if you take the genetic route and say, “Well, if it’s incest, then there’s poten­tial for genetic dis­eases..” then you open up the whole genetic test­ing can of worms and I can see the end result of that, which is genetic screen­ing for all embryos and manda­tory abor­tions for those that have genetic dis­eases.… a ter­ri­ble step that leads straight into eugenics.

2. cyn says:

True. I’m not say­ing that I agree with that atti­tude, but then, I don’t agree with ANY of their argu­ments. Tak­ing them to their log­i­cal con­clu­sion sim­ply shows how very ridicu­lous they truly are. When they start pick­ing and choos­ing which abor­tions are “accept­able,” their argu­ments fall apart.

It’s the same with the whole busi­ness of claim­ing that life is sacred while also sup­port­ing cap­i­tal pun­ish­ment. Wait, that means that some life is sacred, right? Oh, and war is okay? So only our citizen’s lives are sacred, and maybe our cur­rent allies, unless they com­mit cer­tain crimes? Or they hap­pen to be fathered by a rapist or in an act of incest? Gosh, that’s complicated!

3. energy talk radio says:

I can see the end result of that, which is genetic screen­ing for all embryos and manda­tory abor­tions for those that have genetic disÂeases.…

4. cyn says:

True — but that would be mur­der, wouldn’t it?

The point is that if abor­tion is mur­der in one case, it’s mur­der in any case, and it can­not be jus­ti­fied. We do not kill the dis­abled, the old, the sick, the poor, the ille­git­i­mate, or those whose parent­age might be a result of rape or incest after they are born, so why make any other excep­tions IF life begins at con­cep­tion? We don’t mur­der chil­dren because their par­ents can’t afford them now, so if one truly believes that life begins as soon as sperm hits egg, then end­ing every preg­nancy is mur­der, even if it’s your own daugh­ter (or you!0 and it would be a ter­ri­ble inconvenience/​embarrassment/​ruin your political/​religious career/​etc.

I have one and only one good thing to say about Sarah Palin: many peo­ple in her posi­tion would have qui­etly arranged for an abor­tion for her daugh­ter. I don’t know if there was pres­sure on the girl to do that, but if there wasn’t, then at least the fam­ily prac­tices what they preach in that respect. (I would hope that the girl was given a real oppor­tu­nity to choose for her­self, but I seri­ously doubt that was the case.)

5. Bryan says:

I agree with cyn…He is right

6. Deborah says:

I got here com­pletely by acci­dent but couldn’t resist adding a com­ment to say: Most truly anti-​​abortion peo­ple (I am one of “those peo­ple!”) ARE against abor­tion for incest and rape. The only rea­son they say “fine, let’s make excep­tions for incest and rape” is because incest-​​and-​​rape abor­tions are such a small per­cent­age that MOST abor­tion would end if these excep­tions were left open. Just thought I’d clar­ify the think­ing for ya :)
    Merry Christmas!

7. cyn says:

Hello, Deb­o­rah. Thank you for adding that infor­ma­tion. Are you also against cap­i­tal pun­ish­ment? a pacifist?