Listen to it on Sam’s site, and/or read the resulting article, The Facets of Jazz Through Gary Motley.
I’m working on my final project for the technical writing course, which is a comparison of cohousing developments to single-family and more traditional multi-family housing. I’m finding it difficult to find any of the books I want to use as references in the library (school or two counties). Do any of you who are local happen to have books on the subject? Copies of Communities magazine, maybe? I’d appreciate a chance to look at such things rather than needing to buy them via Amazon!
I love quotations, an outgrowth of my love for words and the written word in particular. I’ve collected an astonishing number of them over the years, but I never got around to doing much with them. The ones that are already on this site are a very tiny sample.
I’ve spent a lot of time lately collected all the various text files of quotations from my hard drive, wedding out duplicates, and trying to verify or identify sources.1 Since my brain hasn’t exactly been working at a peak level with the whole flu whatsis plus insane pollen levels in Atlanta, this project has been a nice, no-critical-thinking-required time filler.
Continue reading “Quotations and WordPress Plugins”
Is anybody celebrating that this year? I’m out of touch with the pagan crowd any more. I think the St. Patrick’s Day parade here in Atlanta was canceled because of the tornado Saturday. I was at home all day, so I didn’t bother wearing green or even thinking about it. One of the “daily quote” emails I received included this bit of wisdom:
I have no idea how I got there, but I found myself reading Stuff White People Like. I’d never heard of it before, but from the number of comments on every post, I must be in the minority!
Continue reading “All-Snakes Day?”
Over the last two years, Sam and I have talked about moving elsewhere. Georgia has almost no consumer protections for citizens, has a crappy support structure for humans in just about every way you can imagine, and has law enforcement who don’t care to enforce laws unless you’ve got enough money to get their attention. Essentially, we want to live in a blue state, which means leaving the Bible belt. Cooler weather would be nice, too. Less humid heat, at least, would be a relief.
We haven’t really made plans, not wanting to uproot Katie while she was in school and so on. There’s a lot of inertia, too, since I’ve been here all my life (except for the few years in Alabama before my parents moved us to Atlanta). Sam was born here, and wasn’t thrilled with New York or New Jersey when he lived there. Our families are here, which means something, even if we don’t see them that often.
Continue reading “How do you decide where to live?”
Anybody going to MomoCon here in Atlanta? I’d never heard of it before today. It’s free, and may be in its second year (I’m not sure). It seems quite small, which could be nice. It’s local, which is a big plus for us. I’m unclear as to whether there’s any gaming happening or not, and there’s no mention of filking that I can see.
It’s be SO long since I updated things here! Not that I think anybody really missed me, but still, I should have kept it up a bit better.
Katie tried attending a good high school near us, and loved it. She got great grades, was chosen to work on the yearbook (it’s a very competitive process there), and was even made the chief photographer right away! She was also getting involved in other activities, and she made some good friends. She really loved the art classes, in particular.
Unfortunately, her health suffered. She has severe restless leg syndrome, fibromyalgia (which causes sleep problems), and truly horrific migraines in addition to being allergic to all kinds of things. The migraines aren’t well-managed any more, so that she has a migraine almost every day despite taking Trileptal as a preventive. She’s had to use her rescue medicine so much that it’s no longer very helpful, either. She just can’t get any decent sleep, thanks to the RLS and fibro, which means that she needs a minimum of ten to twelve hours every night, and still wakes up unrested. And our insurance has gone stupid, repeatedly refusing to cover her allergy medications, in particular. 1 Right now, they’re refusing to cover Provigil, which was the only thing keeping her awake enough to even consider attending school. She’s under doctor’s orders to stop driving until the sleep situation is ameliorated, and has been for some time, so she’s been delayed in learning to drive and getting her license.
So she’s back at home, which is a real disappointment to her. We’ve decided to try making the best of it, and focus on the good things. For instance, she’s no longer held back to anyone else’s learning pace, and she doesn’t have to jump through bureaucratic hoops. She can learn whenever she is awake, honoring her body’s need for more sleep than most people.
She wants to take college classes online, which is how I’m managing to continue my education despite health problems. I think it’s a good idea, so now we’re considering schools and money. While the University system schools here in Georgia technically have all their core classes online, the reality when I attended Southern Poly was that the entire school usually had only one or two seats for any particular course, and of course those seats were taken immediately.
We’d love to hear about the experiences of any other homeschooled teens who are finishing high school in college, particularly those who are taking classes online.
Her eventual goal is art school, and while there is a local school that has an online program, I just don’t see how it’s possible to learn some things through the internet. Neither does she. So we’re also looking for good art classes to supplement whatever she does online. We’re in Decatur, and since neither she nor I are driving, close is good. MARTA accessibility is absolutely necessary!
1 hey insist that everybody should be just fine with Claritin, which is available over-the-counter. Not so!
- 22:02 New blog entry: Tweets for Today technomom.com/2007/12/10/tweets-for-today-12/ #
- 12:45 @pistachio Don’t you have to Twitter in French while you’re there? Are the language police after you? #
- 12:54 @marcbenton Sounds like someone I need to follow! @shashib, what do you think? #
- 13:08 @chrisbrogan What are serving suggestions for life? #
- 13:09 @chrisbrogan Yes, the majority of the people I’ve known are followers. They want that structure. They aren’t the people I choose to ass … #
- 13:18 So sleepy. I had dreams that should only happen to people who drop acid during a Thomas the Tank Engine marathon. #
- 13:18 And I’ve never touched the stuff! #
- 13:20 People who have tagged stuff “a cappella” on LastFM seem to lack understanding that it means NO INSTRUMENTS. Just VOICES #
- 13:21 @teemonster Is there an antidote? #
- 13:26 @randellfever Is it an older one? Haven’t tried my ancient one, not on Seesmic yet. #
- 13:27 @teemonster That cure may be worse than the malady. #
- 13:28 @randellfever Probably not the problem then 🙂 #
- 13:30 @randellfever Did you check for newer software from Logitech? #
- 13:50 This hurts urltea.com/2cb8 (had to download to watch, site is getting slammed) #
- 14:00 @bucketjen If you do the form, they farm out data entry to firms who sell your address. Is a data point. #
- 14:00 @bucketjen Post Office isn’t so forthcoming about that. #
- 14:01 @foulbastard Somehow, that’s even worse. #
- 15:35 @ariedana Hey now! Don’t be so hard on yourself. #
- 15:35 @michebel Yep. Have a very good life. #
- 15:38 @hotdogsladies Resist the lawn worship cult! Stay strong! #
- 15:39 Just heard Capercaillie’s “Servant to the Slave” on LastFM. Now I have to go find lyrics. #
- 15:43 7 new Twitter friends, and I didn’t even comment on @jowyang’s post! #
- 15:44 I don’t remember who mentioned headphones at Woot, but thank you. Bought ’em. #
- 15:44 Family is hard on headphones. #
- 15:53 @davidward Cool blog! Do you know if it’s syndicated on LiveJournal yet? If not, may I? #
- 15:54 @davidward Want to post link to GeeksAtHome LJ community, most users seem to use LJ as aggregator #
- 16:01 @ariedana He has poor taste. *hugs* #
- 16:10 @davidward Thanks 🙂 Will be on LJ as urltea.com/2cdc #
- 16:39 @glendawh Just move to Atlanta. It’s 77F here. #
- 16:46 @hobbinator That’s great! How is Roo? #
- 18:41 @hobbinator I’m sorry about Roo 🙁 I’ll keep thinking about him. (Just got back to PC) #
- 18:42 @mariana_66 What kind of recital? If the chaos was controlled at all, it went well 😉 #
- 18:46 @hopeevey No TT marathons for me. Don’t think I’ve actually seen one whole episode. #
- 18:47 @hopeevey Just saw Carlin and said, “Why is he on during kid programming time?” #
- 18:48 @abiteofsanity I miss having a fireplace. Even if it is way too hot to use one most of the time here. #
- 18:51 @seambarpoet is on the way home with Philly cheesesteaks for dinner #
- 18:52 @jchutchins I’m looking forward to reading 7S 🙂 You have guaranteed sale of all 3 volumes here. #
- 19:01 @raphaelt We’re looking forward to a kid-free just-us night, so I’m afraid we’ll have to invite you another time 🙂 #
- 19:07 @raphaelt: We’ll just worry if you @ reply to your own @ reply 😉 #
- 19:26 What is it with the Brennans? Moya is aka MÃ¡ire, Enya is aka Eithne Brennan, and even Brennan is sometimes NÃ BhraonÃ¡in #
- 19:31 @sambearpoet is home! I’m off for a while 🙂 #
Follow Cyn at Twitter
Automatically shipped by LoudTwitter
- 22:02 New blog entry: Tweets for Today technomom.com/2007/12/09/tweets-for-today-11/ #
- 23:36 @hobbinator Let me know if it does. I’ll Twitter for Claritin‑D. Heck, I’d do a lot more for my loratadine + decongestant fix. #
- 23:38 @shashib Night! I will post after closing the poll #
- 23:40 Just 20 minutes left to vote for the Funniest Twitterer tinyurl.com/249bjw #
- 23:41 @chelpixie I promise that you’re not invisible. #
- 23:44 @chelpixie What song is in your Twitter background? Can’t see enough to identify it. #
- 23:44 @hobbinator Darn. Anybody near me is probably in bed — it’s 11:44pm — anyway. #
- 23:52 @mikedoe I’m afraid I don’t. Her user page was there Friday when I made the poll, now it’s gone #
- 23:53 @GarlG Ewww! I hope you feel better soon. #
- 00:31 New blog entry: Results Are In! The Funniest Twitterer Is #
- 13:25 @tsdivadani Re family? I’ve always found that to be the case. #
- 13:25 @tsdivadani Only person I’m sure I’m really related to is my daughter #
- 13:46 Thanks, @marcbenton 🙂 #
- 13:47 It’s 89 degrees F on my front porch here in Atlanta. It is INSANE to need a/c in December! #
- 13:51 @okiej I don’t expect things from Focus on the Family to make sense. #
- 13:51 @abiteofsanity Done 😉 I’ve never seen a white Christmas #
- 13:52 @minitotoro Let’s just say our electric bill makes me a global warming believer #
- 13:54 Wouldn’t do any good to do that shoveling in the Bible Belt, @abiteofsanity. Nothing is open! #
- 13:55 @abiteofsanity We really are considering moving away from the blue laws and other nonsense #
- 14:02 @foulbastard Do they include bouncing around in little clothing to “distract” attackers? #
- 14:06 Hello @mariana_66, @AndrewBadera, @JimWalton and a bunch of other people #
- 14:12 @chumworth If they go after our humor infrastructure, we’re doomed. #
- 14:12 @JimWalton just read your post re “experts” — good stuff. #
- 14:13 Good article about social media and experts, folks: urltea.com/2c14 #
- 14:32 @queenofspain Getting older is far better than the alternative, hon. I’m happily 41. #
- 14:33 @randellfever I guess “I need a few sanity hours” won’t work? #
- 14:35 @andrewbadera I don’t think math courses figure heavily in theology or journalism education. Having been married to a youth minister, in … #
- 14:36 @andrewbadera Having been married to a youth minister, I know there isn’t much math involved in theology undergrad studies. #
- 14:36 @mariana_66 Audacity. Works on most any platform and is open-source (free!) #
- 14:37 @mariana_66 Oh — you mean hardware, don’t you? @sambearpoet is using a Sony minidisc recorder with good results, looking for something s … #
- 14:45 @jimwalton Water is limited? Eeep! #
- 15:16 @genuine What answer is that? #
- 15:23 @randellfever Yay! #
- 15:38 @mariana_66: @sambearpoet is my partner. Let us know what you find, ok? #
- 15:59 @hobbinator Hope Roo is better soon! #
- 16:00 Crud. Think the girl may have a sinus infection. #
- 16:02 @mariana_66 We got the minidisc recorder/reader via Freecycle 🙂 #
- 16:16 @queenofspain Ewww! Never had one fight about that! Keeping ANY pants on, yes. #
- 16:21 @queenofspain: @sambearpoet’s youngest went through a period of referring to herself as “the baby” constantly. Hopefully, it won’t last … #
- 16:39 @jimwalton Is all of you ok? #
- 16:40 @jimwalton No secure footing for ladder on ice/snow, methinks. Call power company? #
- 16:53 @jimwalton I see. Could you steady ladder while someone else climbed to try? #
- 16:54 @jimwalton You were very lucky! #
- 16:56 @jimwalton I guess that’s why they say a hurt thing “smarts” #
- 17:21 Logging off for a while. Need to get some fluids into the girl. #
- 20:00 Freaking out. The guy who contacted me via Consumating might as well have been created as pure Cyn bait. #
- 20:00 I’m too weird to see that happen often. #
- 20:01 @chumworth Crossing the strike line, I see 😉 #
- 20:02 @acomputerpro Do you normally disrobe at the dentist’s office? #
- 20:11 @flyswatter We have had lots more trouble with DSL than cable broadband. Slower and lots of outages. #
- 20:23 @marinamartin Don’t know what Moola is? #
- 20:28 @jchutchins Woot! #
- 20:30 @marinamartin Moola looks interesting, would like an invite pretty please. #