Sam’s Bad Day/Pampering for Cyn

Sam has­n’t men­tioned this, but he had a crap­py day yesterday.

Okay, it did­n’t start off so bad­ly. He had an inter­view at Kinko’s that real­ly went fair­ly well. He’s sup­posed to have a sec­ond inter­view next week. No, it isn’t the job he’d pre­fer, but it would be work—and he’d be eli­gi­ble for health insur­ance after 90 days. Even bet­ter, they offer ben­e­fits to domes­tic part­ners. I’d be eli­gi­ble. I haven’t had health insur­ance in sev­er­al years, and I’d actu­al­ly be able to have cov­er­age with­out Katie los­ing eli­gi­bil­i­ty for Peach­care (which is far bet­ter cov­er­age than any she could have any­where else).

How­ev­er, he was going to get tires put on the car after­ward and some­one hit him. And he was tick­et­ed. I’m hop­ing he’ll fight the tick­et. He was­n’t hurt and the car is dri­ve­able, although it’s ugly and the doors on the pas­sen­ger side are more dif­fi­cult to close now.

To make mat­ters worse, we learned that our auto insur­ance was­n’t in effect! Appar­ent­ly, the car­ri­er decid­ed that some­thing was hinky because my name did­n’t match my dri­ver’s license (though we’d TOLD THEM THAT and explained it!) and despite hav­ing been giv­en our new address and phone num­bers back in May, they claimed they “could­n’t find us”- so they dropped us! Not hap­py news. Not at all. Get­ting cov­er­age again took a great big chunk of mon­ey and now we’re with a more expen­sive car­ri­er and alto­geth­er, this was just BAD.

NTB seemed rather expen­sive any­way (after all that!), so he came on home. We checked around and decid­ed that Sam’s Club would be the bet­ter choice for the tires.

I cer­tain­ly did­n’t think I’d be get­ting my hair cut & col­ored this week after that. We were wait­ing ’til we could afford it, and I’ve been sore­ly tempt­ed to start hack­ing at my bangs, at least, myself. Sam made me promise that I would­n’t do that, though. And today, he dropped me off at 3–13 Salon.

I was rather ner­vous as I was being giv­en the tour (yes, for­mal tour, de rigeur for all first-time cus­tomers). The place looks like a Hot Top­ic fash­ion show is in progress. Every­body who works there is young and very goth, all tat­tooed and pierced and styl­ish. Black seems to be the uni­form col­or, although there’s not a uni­form per se. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many dif­fer­ent kinds of hair­styles and col­ors in a month, less alone in a few hours. And I mean on real peo­ple, not in pic­tures. The music was a bit loud for my tastes, but that isn’t unusu­al. And the place is BIG!

They do the paraf­fin thing on your hands no mat­ter what you’re there for, apparently—it’s just SOP. They had a smock that fit even my great big body with no gap­ing. The col­orist got my hair col­or right, and the gray is cov­ered up more than I ever remem­ber it being before (it had got­ten real­ly obvi­ous to me recent­ly). The styl­ist cut my hair a bit short­er than it’s been in a while, but I like it and it should be easy to care for. They do a free make-up “touch up” if you’ve had your hair styled, too—that was new to me. I guess it’s a way of encour­ag­ing you to come back and real­ly have your make-up done, and I have to say that I’d do so if I had the mon­ey. (I’ve been putting on my make­up pret­ty much the same way for 20 years or so now, just out of habit.)

They do birth­day par­ties. I think that’s neat, and I know G would absolute­ly love it. I’m not sure as to whether or not shad­owkatt would be inter­est­ed, but I’ll tell her about it.

Sam won’t let me know how much it all cost, though. He made that appoint­ment and han­dled tips and every­thing. That wor­ries me a bit. They have 5 or 6 dif­fer­ent price lev­els, and the col­orist and styl­ist I had were at the mid-range lev­el. The col­orist had been there 7 years, the styl­ist 6. I have to won­der how long their top peo­ple have been there. I’m afraid to even think about how much they most cost! But the guys I saw (Rico and Jason) were won­der­ful, so I’m quite hap­py with them. I feel very thor­ough­ly pampered.

I learned while at the salon that there was a DMV office about a block away, so we went there next. As I post­ed ear­li­er, I final­ly got my name changed (as I’ve been try­ing to do since 1996!) on my license. You bet­ter believe we’re fax­ing a copy of the new license to the insur­ance agent in the morn­ing to make sure there aren’t any more prob­lems because of that.

Sam and I were going to game tonight since we did­n’t get to do so last night. (We’ve set­tled on a Mon­day-Wednes­day-Fri­day sched­ule for the home game, which was nec­es­sary so that he’d get to have some peace from me bug­ging him.) He got two new tires put on the car today while I was get­ting pam­pered, and want­ed to decom­press a bit by play­ing Spy Hunter and check­ing his email before we got started—totally understandable.

Unfor­tu­nate­ly, around 7:30 pm the super­vi­sor for the data entry job called and asked if I could do a batch of work—tonight. There was­n’t any more work avail­able on Tues­day when Sam took stuff back to her, but appar­ent­ly, she just had some deliv­ered. And the com­pa­ny com­mit­ted to a 24-hour turn­around. And every­body else she just hired (17 new peo­ple) had said they could­n’t do it tonight. So Sam, being the incred­i­bly won­der­ful man he is, went out to pick up the work, and I start­ed enter­ing it as soon as he returned.

It’s an entire school’s fundrais­er forms. I got up to the Ms, but then the sys­tem went down for its night­ly main­te­nance. So now I’m killing time until I can log back in (hope­ful­ly short­ly after mid­night). Sam went to bed, of course—it would be sil­ly to expect him to sit up with me! He always wakes up by 6 am or so, though, so he’s going to take the stuff to the gal who is sup­posed to do the ver­i­fi­ca­tion when he gets up. It has to be ver­i­fied and then back to the com­pa­ny by 10 or 11 am. I do hope this kind of sud­den stuff isn’t normal!

I’m afraid the data entry thing isn’t going to work out, hon­est­ly. I’ve had hor­ri­ble mus­cle spasms since I did the first big mess of it this week­end, and I was just start­ing to recov­er when I got the call today. 

I’m spas­ming much more again. I hope I can man­age to get through the batch I have to fin­ish tonight, but then I fear that I’m going to have to take one of my hoard­ed mus­cle relax­ants. Things are bet­ter when I can spread out the strain, but this kind of dead­line does­n’t allow that. We need the income, though, so I feel guilty to even think about quit­ting it already. Okay, we can obvi­ous­ly sur­vive with­out it. But I feel much bet­ter to be work­ing and con­tribut­ing some­thing to the house­hold. It mat­ters to me. And after such an expen­sive car day, I real­ly want to be able to work. I thought I’d be doing some­thing else by now, but that has­n’t worked out. (sigh)

So you’ve been sub­ject­ed to this ridicu­lous­ly long entry because of the night­ly serv­er main­te­nance. Believe it or not, I cut one impor­tant sub­ject out of this entire­ly, to put it in a sep­a­rate post. Aren’t you lucky?

Cur­rent Mood: 🙁wor­ried
Cyn is Rick's wife, Katie's Mom, and Esther & Oliver's Mémé. She's also a professional geek, avid reader, fledgling coder, enthusiastic gamer (TTRPGs), occasional singer, and devoted stitcher.
Posts created 4259

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.

Back To Top