Posted by Cyn
I’ve heard so much about stitching groups and stitching buddies, and I’m jealous. I want to have such a group and friends who stitch, so I’ve started a mailing list to help metro Atlanta stitchers to find each other. Anyone who does any kind of handwork is welcome!
Atlanta Area Stitching Resources
- Nease’s Needlework in Decatur was my favorite stitching store in the Atlanta area. They’re an online operation now, but they still have a great selection of patterns, fabrics, fibers, etc. and they’ll get whatever they don’t have in stock for you. Susan Nease is incredibly helpful and well-informed.
- I haven’t been able to visit In Stitches in Atlanta yet, but they’ve been very helpful over the phone and my mail order was fulfilled incredibly quickly.
- There’s also The Needle Nook (404−325−0068) on Briarcliff Road, which will be of interest if you knit or crochet. They no longer carry needlework supplies.
- Dunwoody Needle Accents (770−393−9388) has changed ownership in the last few years. They have long had the most extensive selection of needlepoint canvases that I’ve seen around town, and they keep a decent selection of fibers in stock.
- Abecedarius in Marietta (770−977−3585) focuses on reproduction samplers. They do have many different fibers and fabrics in stock. It’s possible that they are most extensively-stocked store in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately, I’m one of many people who have found the staff unfriendly at best. As well-stocked as they are, I choose not to shop there. If I can’t find what I need at another local shop, I special order from Nease’s.
- There’s almost always a Michael’s, JoAnn Etc. or Hobby Lobby somewhere nearby, too. I don’t like them as much as smaller shops in general, because their staffers are never as knowledgeable and they usually carry the biggest brand name of the most popular items, but not necessarily the best quality product or any real specialty items. (Hint: don’t try to buy linen in these places.) Given a choice among the three, I’ll try JoAnns, if only because I get a 15% discount there as an educator.