The most important promises you’ll ever make in this life are the ones you make to yourself. I’ve lost sight of that fact, and broken at least one of my promises to myself. I need to remind myself of a few of my promises to myself (these aren’t all of them, by any means).
- I won’t allow anyone to act abusively towards me. The rule of thumb is that I shouldn’t accept treatment that I wouldn’t want for my child.
- No partner is worth my self-esteem, so I won’t stay with a anyone who tears me down.
- Any partner who tries to come between me and my child is history.
- I deserve a partner who is faithful to me and our agreements in every sense of the word, and I won’t lower myself by staying with someone who breaks them. New addendum: Forgiveness for infidelity is (at most!) a one-time thing.
- My life task right now is to get healthier in every realm of my life, and I can’t afford to associate with anyone detrimental to my overall health.
What promises have you made to yourself? How well do you keep them?