Home » Miscellany

Miscellany

I lost track of who originally linked to what, so I can't credit them properly. But thank you to whoever they all were, anyway!

Filed under "another reason I'm proud to be a homeschooler": California court rules that private school can oust lesbian students. I do understand that it's a private religious school, and that their denomination doesn't approve of homosexuality. On the other hand, the girls' parents chose to send them to that school, not the girls themselves. And demanding that everybody in the school be heterosexual makes every bit as much sense as demanding that they all be right-handed! (It also sounds like the school went WAY the hell overboard in interpreting the "evidence.")

Can I get an "Amen"?! Ending Weight Bias: The Easiest Way to Tackle Obesity in America

This is news? Readers build vivid mental simulations of narrative situations, brain scans suggest

Not Good News: Mercury found in kids' foods - and in pretty much anything else that contains HFCS. I'm confident of my ability to kick the soda habit, but totally avoiding HFCS pretty much means avoiding all processed foods. GAH!

This is so cool! Implants Tap the Thinking Brain

No surprise to me, at least: Watch out. The Internet will cut you

Reality check: Sorry, you don't have a 200 IQ

Another no-brainer: Video Games May Hinder Relationships

9 comments

1. Tracy says:

I do not see how a school could kick some­one out for that. How exact­ly do they prove the case and does it real­ly even mat­ter any­way?

2. travis says:

Re: Anoth­er no-brain­er: Video Games May Hin­der Rela­tion­ships
    The inverse might be true. Rela­tion­ships cause video games. I haven’t spo­ken to my moth­er in years. When I was younger, we had a rocky rela­tion­ship and she insist­ed that we live way out in the mid­dle of nowhere (My near­est friend lived almost 30 miles away at one point). I couldn’t stand my fam­i­ly, and get­ting to see my friends reg­u­lar­ly was out of the ques­tion, so I bought video games.

Or a less neg­a­tive exam­ple, when I’m hang­ing out with my friends, our usu­al enter­tain­ment is a video game of some sort.

Re: Not Good News: Mer­cury found in kid­s’ foods
    You can have my sodas when you pry them from my cold dead fin­gers.

3. cyn says:

I don’t think they “proved” the case at all, Tra­cy – and if they were actu­al­ly there pri­mar­i­ly to edu­cate any­one, it wouldn’t have mat­tered.

4. cyn says:

Trav­is, I can cer­tain­ly under­stand turn­ing to ANY kind of pur­suit to avoid inter­ac­tion with cer­tain peo­ple. When I was in high school, I par­tic­i­pat­ed in every­thing except sports and art, large­ly to avoid being home. When I was at home, I spent as much time in my own room as pos­si­ble read­ing or what­ev­er (I’m old, so per­son­al com­put­ers weren’t very com­mon then).

Play­ing games togeth­er is one thing. Play­ing them alone when there are oth­er peo­ple around who want to inter­act with you, and with whom you pre­sum­ably want to inter­act, is dif­fer­ent. My part­ner and our kids spent many hours play­ing com­put­er games togeth­er on our home net­work at one time, but they also spent hours togeth­er doing oth­er things, includ­ing table­top RPGs.

5. travis says:

That depends on per­spec­tive, my moth­er still thinks video games are the rea­son we don’t speak. Nev­er­mind that she ran up TEN THOUSAND dol­lars in cred­it card debt in my name before I could even have a cred­it card… among oth­er things.

My lit­tle sis­ter thought video games were why I didn’t talk to her either, but the actu­al rea­son was tied to her tak­ing sides with my moth­er any­time we got into it. I babysat her kid the oth­er day because about a mon­th ago my moth­er threw her out, and my sis­ter start­ed see­ing things from my point of veiw.

6. cyn says:

I’m glad you’ve recon­nect­ed with your sis­ter, at least, Trav­is. It sounds like you might be bet­ter off with­out being in touch with your moth­er!

7. cyn says:

Thanks, Met­te. I have heard of dyscal­cu­lia – as a home­school­ing moth­er, I’ve done a fair amount of research on learn­ing differences/​disabilities.

My pho­bia is whol­ly irra­tional, as pho­bi­as are want to be. I cer­tain­ly don’t have dyscal­cu­lia – I per­formed fair­ly well on the math team in high school and had an even 700700 math/​verbal split on the SAT (back when there were only 1600 points to be had, total).

8. scyllacat says:

*gig­gles* Well, that’s fun­ny. I kept get­ting annoyed because I kept get­ting scores like 138 and 142 on those online IQ tests. I will shut up now and take my smart self as it is.

Also, I’ve been watch­ing the way we learn to deal with the­se new Inter­net rages and strange ways words start hurt­ing. It’s fas­ci­nat­ing.

Comments are closed.