County Blah

Why do we have a reverse-​​911 sys­tem, if the county won’t use it to tell us things like, “Hey, we had a water main break and you need to boil your water before using it.”

We’ve had so many water main breaks in the last year that I’m glad we don’t drink tap water, any­way (even with boil­ing, it tastes nasty to me). We do cook with it, though.

Oh – I guess since we don’t have (or want) a land line, they wouldn’t call us any­way, would they? It seems to me that cell phones should be included some­how, based on the address on the account or where you are when an alert goes out, or some­thing. Since more and more peo­ple don’t bother with land lines, that’s a sig­nif­i­cant issue.

So, yeah, boil­ing water ’til Wednes­day after­noon at the very least. I’m glad I looked at the local newspaper’s web site!

6 Comments

1. Alice says:

Some­time a cou­ple of years ago, one after­noon I got sev­eral calls in a period of 12 an hour that our water was going to be cut off and that we’d be under a boil warn­ing. It was from the City of Atlanta. It would have been great warn­ing except that I’m on Dekalb County water and that I didn’t get 10 calls in that short period. :p

2. cyn says:

That’s weird. I won­der if Dekalb gets water from Atlanta or something?

I real­ized after writ­ing the post that the water peo­ple cer­tainly have our phone num­bers, so they could eas­ily set up a sys­tem to call peo­ple in affected areas.

3. Tim says:

Well, that could eas­ily be done, with a com­puter, a soft­ware appli­ca­tion, and an auto­mated call­ing system…

HOWEVER…That would make sense, be prac­ti­cal as well as eco­nom­i­cal, and make life eas­ier on people…

and who wants THAT?

4. Hope says:

Gah! How frustrating!

5. Willow says:

I hear ya on the water thing. We get the boil-​​water notices BY MAIL usu­ally days after the order is over. We had our very first ever reverse 911 call the other day about a miss­ing woman with Alzheimer’s. I kinda wish they’d do them for Amber alerts too.

6. cyn says:

They should def­i­nitely do them for Amber alerts! I’m sur­prised that they don’t, already.