Home » It Was a Lovely Day

It Was a Lovely Day

Please note: Yes, I am referring to today, the 12th, which is my birthday. Those close to me know that I generally hate my birthday, as it's a reminder of multiple miscarriages and other nasty things happening around this time several years in a row.

Sam and Katie managed to make #41 very nice, though.

Quotable Mug With Osho QuoteSam and I went out Saturday evening to Barnes & Noble, but I just couldn't make a decision. So many choices! We went over to OutWrite, too, which is always fun. I saw lots of adorable trinkets there, and plenty of interesting reading and listening material, but still couldn't make a choice. I really liked this mug, and it felt great in my hand, but I couldn't find out if it's microwave safe. (My favorite coffee cup was broken recently, victim of my unreliable grip. Thank you, fibro/arthritis/CMP!) Have any of you tried a Quotable mug? How did it hold up?

Oh! On the way home, we started to drive past Krispy Kreme and Sam had a sudden need for donuts, so we popped in there to satisfy that. I've never done the drive-through there before, but things were really crowded in the store. The car line was long, too, but we had the advantage of privacy and good company while waiting in it.

We enjoyed being out, but I came home without having chosen anything but donut fillings. Sam threatened to pick for me if I didn't make a choice on Sunday. I have a lot of trouble spending any money on myself, or asking for presents, and he thought that's why I hadn't chosen anything.

So we went out again on Sunday—leaving the house two days in a row is very unusual for me any more! I had finally decided on exactly what I wanted, and we tried to go get it, but found the place closed for Veteran's Day. My man insisted on taking me to Borders and buying Kim Harrison's A Few Demons More, promising that we'd also go to The Place again on Monday. Then he took me to Steak & Shake for dinner, because when I saw the sign I had a serious craving for their mushroom-swiss burger. (Don't bother with the new Portobello mushroom burger, as you get far fewer mushrooms that way!)

Katie and I (she's home from school, sick) had a very nice, low-key day Monday, and Sam and I set out again after he got home. This time, success!

I asked for something that probably seems odd to most people—a non-resident library card so I can access the best library system in Georgia, Gwinnett County Public Libraries. But I'd checked, and they have 95% of the books I'm really wanting to read, and past experience says they'll continue to carry the fantasy and science fiction I love. They have a far better selection of everything than Dekalb, where we live. (Okay, Gwinnett has stopped carrying music CDs, because so many went missing. Big deal.)

I wanted the card instead of a few books, because this way I can read all of them! And, in fact, we came home with nine books that have all been on my wish list for some time, and two or three graphic novels for Sam.

Now I have a whole pile of new-to-me books, and A Few Demons More! They're all way too tempting to a girl who still has homework to do, including a SWOT analysis that's due for my management class this week.

Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes via Facebook, email, Twitter, LJ, etc. 🙂

7 comments

1. Hope says:

I’m so glad you had a good birth­day 🙂

And I total­ly under­stand the desire for a good library card. My local library has spoiled me delight­ful­ly.

2. Precious says:

Not only do we have awe­some libraries, but ours right down the road from our house is only a year old and has tons and tons and tons of great audio­books. They also car­ry all the man­ga Spidey could ever want to read, have an awe­some read­ing room with stuffed ani­mals for Boo, and every com­put­er game a kid could want. We loves it.

3. cyn says:

Pre­cious, at first I thought you were talk­ing about Wack­yville, then I remem­bered where you now! đŸ™‚

Thanks, Shirlee & Hope!

Since I was tiny, I’ve dreamed about liv­ing close enough to a good library to walk to it. We’re close enough for Sam or Katie to walk to a branch now, but it isn’t a good one. If we don’t move to where we want next year, maybe I’ll recon­sid­er life in the ‘burbs with bet­ter libraries.

4. je reviens says:

Hap­py Birth­day!

You can’t do inter­li­brary loan thru your local library? I get a lot of good stuff that way.

5. cyn says:

I was the Queen of Inter­li­brary Loans when using oth­er library sys­tems, but this coun­ty makes it damned near impos­si­ble to place them. I inter­act with the library almost entire­ly online, since I’m essen­tial­ly home­bound, and Sam picks up and returns books for me. They won’t set up a way to do the requests with­out going to the branch and painful­ly spelling out each field of the request slip to a clerk. (I can’t believe those peo­ple are librar­i­ans. I refuse to con­sid­er it.) You can’t request any­thing less than a year old (the bet­ter library has a 6-month age lim­it), and the few requests I’ve sub­mit­ted have just dis­ap­peared into the ether. When I try to fol­low them up, I’m told they don’t track them. I real­ly think they throw them away.

There is a library sys­tem that most of the state’s libraries are part of, PINES, and it’s pret­ty darned good. None of the major metro Atlanta coun­ty sys­tems par­tic­i­pate, though. They appar­ent­ly see it as sub­si­diz­ing small­er sys­tems, even when their own sucks rocks.

We were clos­er to a PINES branch than to any­thing else in our pri­or home, out in the exurbs, so I used them a lot. They expect­ed most things to be done online, since their patrons are all over the state. It was won­der­ful!

I’m not TOO far from that PINES branch when I go see the pain doc­tor each month, but since Sam is already tak­ing time off work to dri­ve me there, I feel guilty about ask­ing him to make a library stop, too.

6. Hope says:

My cur­rent pub­lic library is the first I’ve known to offer ILL ser­vice. A cou­ple oth­er NC libraries do it, but I think they might charge for it.

Comments are closed.